Monday, October 3, 2011

Character Revelation (Peter Leer)- October 5th

One of Paul’s classmates and close friends during the war. In chapter 11, Leer is hit by a shell fragment, which also hits Bertinck. The shrapnel tears open Leer's hip, causing him to bleed to death quickly.
Before I came to the Second Company I was a great mathematician and a ladies’ man. I was the guy everybody went to for help in class AND how to get the girls. I mean, really. I was the first of all of my friends to get laid! Hello?! Of course I have skills Paul and the others want to learn more about. Here, I am just a soldier with only the ownership of my name, clothes on my back, and the cigarettes in my pocket. I believed the war was my calling and I could serve my country well.
Since I came to the front, I am still a ladies’ man. I can not only woo women back home, but French women within several minutes! Being able to do mathematics and be smooth with women did not help me toward the end of the war when shrapnel tore open my hip causing me to bleed to death; nobody was there to help me survive and it was nothing similar to an algebra problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment